Sunday, February 15, 2015

Rodriguez: Aria Quotes

“I easily noted the difference between classroom language and the language of home” (34).
This quote reminded me of our class discussions on language. Not necessarily the actual language that is spoken, but the tone of voice (for example) and different ways home and school are diverse. While reading this quote I connected it to Delpit. Though this is not necessarily a matter of race, if there is a separation of something between home and school, the child is easily confused. It’s like Rodriguez mentions, it really is “two worlds” (34). There needs to be a connection for the sake of the student, but the sacrifices of the child really need to be taken into consideration.

“We remained a loving family, bur one greatly changed. No longer so close; no longer bound tight by the pleasing and troubling knowledge of our public separateness”(36).
This really shows the sacrifices that people make in order to assimilate in America. Yes, they get the privileges of being seen as English speaking American, but they lose their family bonds. They do not feel the same when they are at home. Their identity is gone. This honestly breaks my heart. I feel like Rodriguez felt very lost as a child and I could never picture going through something like this. If this ever happened to me I really don’t know what I would do.

“So they do not realize that while one suffers a diminished sense of private individuality by becoming assimilated into public society, such assimilation makes possible the achievement of public individuality” (39).
Rodriguez ends his piece with this powerful quote. What he is saying is though there are many sacrifices, it is worth it to be successful in America. I personally see a problem with this. I think private individuality is one of the most important things that you have in life. There is only one you. You don't get another one. You do not want to lose yourself and what you stand for for money. I totally understand where he is coming from with this, I do. Wow. Now that I am typing this I realize that I am probably only saying these things because I've never had to go through it, and I never will. I really don't know what I would do in the situation, because I an English speaking American--therefore I have privilege over someone who does not speak English. It is easy for me to say "don't lose yourself" when I don't have to make the choice.
This also connects to SCWAAMP. One of the As in SCWAAMP stands for American-ness. This is very prevalent in this piece. He and his family needed to assimilate in terms of language to be successful in America. 
I also found this video that really resonated with me and really shows the importance of bilingual education.

Point to bring up in class: I know many people have strong opinions such as “you come into our country, you learn our language!” What are your opinions on this matter? Do you believe that Rodriguez’s teachers did the right thing in going to the house and asking his parents to speak English at home? I think it is a hard thing. Yes, there needs to be a bind between home and school…but at what cost?
I would also like to make the point that there is NO official language of the United States. 

No comments:

Post a Comment